7.27.2005

save it open it

my husband and i have been saving a bottle of shalestone merlot since our trip to the fingerlakes. our hope was to open it maybe on our anniversary, or some other 'special occasion'.

and then i remembered a conversation i had with my friend jennifer a few years ago. it was the night before thanksgiving, and we were planning on sharing thanksgiving dinner together. i called her that night to see if there were any last minute preps i could help with, and she sounded a little giddy on the phone. at my prompting of what was going on, she replied 'oh nothing. steven and i are just enjoying a bottle of champagne'. and since champagne is usually associated with (again, here's that word) 'special occasions', i asked 'what's the special occasion' to which she responded 'there is no special occasion.'
so last night, matthew and i had a monumental discussion (read: breakthrough) about our financial situation, resulting in something that will hopefully catapult us positively in the right direction. and we've also been having some beautiful hard discussions ever since our experience(s) at 10klf, trying to decifer what the crap just happened to us. the past 48 hours have been good hours of together.

and so, we decided to open the bottle of shalestone.

here's what i want to know: are you an 'open it' or a 'save it' sort of person?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you
i think life would be a lot better for most people if they stopped saving everything for "special occasions" rather than making a special occasion out of an ordinary day :)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Erin Bennett said...

Definitely an "open it" person. Although I'd have to save it until March and then open it. So I guess right now I'm a "save it" person. And I don't really like wine in the first place, so it really doesn't matter.
Glad you enjoyed your "open it" moment!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jaime G said...

definitely an "open it" person. What is life if you don't open things up?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

. . . depends how long I want it to last . . .

8:59 PM  
Blogger jeffmacsimus said...

Generally speaking, open it. I find the taste of most experiences can be amply saved and savored in the richness of memory.

10:25 PM  
Blogger gloria said...

I used to join Dad in trying to get mom to let us open presents a day or two before Christmas. Now I find that I am refusing a sweet birthday present from my kids because they want to give it to me 2 weeks early - they can't wait!! My crawl space reveals that I save WAY to much - but that's a combination of laziness and clinging to the past, not the 'save it' that comes from sweet anticipation. Still, on my last birthday I bought pretty new flatware that we use every day sooo... I guess it depends.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

It is interesting to me that so many of us are "open it" kinds of people. What does that say about us and our kingdom view? Enjoy the gifts God has given...don't put your faith in tomorrow? I think about Paul in Acts saying "Who are we to say we'll go here today and then we'll minister there tomorrow?" We aren't gods and we don't know what He has planned.

Along these lines, I got one of those inane forwarded emails yesterday...it ended by saying "Hold on tightly to your loved ones everyday." I just about puked. I have spent the past ten years trying to hold EVERYTHING loosely. I don't think our King wants us to hold onto anything "tightly" and if we do in what are we putting our trust? I do think He wants us to enjoy His gifts and be present to the moment. God give us the grace to live in THAT place!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Save it.

I believe there is value in spending time in anticipation, which in turn adds value or helps develop appreciation for the future "special occasion"...

...now what to do with that bottle of chianti I've been hoarding since my Italy trip in 2001...

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to view a cigar that costs more than $5 as a "special occasion" stick, but gradually my definition of "special" started slipping. Lately I've been enjoying 3-4 a week. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent at the tobaconist this summer. There is some logic in hoarding things of value for special occasions. The real question is what does special mean?

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home