4.05.2005

"surprise me..."

i haven't blogged in a month. sorry to everyone, mostly myself. i guess i've been looking for something to blog about... my everyday life has been way to busy to put down into html form. so yesterday, my friend jan bros put me onto this series they're doing at upper room. from what i've gathered, it seems simple enough, perhaps even juvenile enough that even i could do it.

now, i wasn't at the upper room to hear the kick-off power-packed sermon that kicked this all of. but i'm gathering this: the premise is that for 30 days, i pray "surprise me, God", and that's all. no lists or petitions or anything else. just "surprise me". and then at the end of each day, i journal about how God barged into my life and surprised me with a little sumptin' sumptin'. now, i have to admit, part of this sounds like a manipulative bargain... or maybe that's just because for me, hidden in the depths of the "surpsie me" is 'oh god, surprise me with everything i've ever wanted, including enough money to buy gas for my gas-eating machine that drives me 20 miles out of my urban dwelling to my suburban Calling; and then maybe, could you throw in some sunshine so i could go outside and play today... and while you're at it, how about a matching furniture set for my living room? but make sure to surprise me".

alright, enough of the saracasm. maybe i should just shut up and give it a try. after all, since my 40 days of fasting are over, i need something to perseverate on.

so i'm giving this a shot...

here we go...

"surprise me, God..."

to be continued...

(i'll let you know if that matching furniture set shows up)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh....you MIGHT want to add the post script of "GOOD" surprise!!!

Let's not get TOO GENERAL HERE!!!

;>)

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After all, back in the old old days while at college I once boldly prayed for

AN INTERESTING LIFE


Look what happened!!!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's nothing wrong with your sarcasm. We are human after all. I also struggle with the idea of "letting go" to God. It seems so conceptually lofty.
But that's what makes your blog worth checking into ... the human weakness that is "real" struggling to become more than it is. I can identify with you.
The trick is moderating the level of skepticism.
Now if only most Christians would be this honest with themselves and others about "humanness" instead of pretending there's nothing wrong and, if there is something wrong, ignoring or condeming "it."

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home