8.12.2005

like the godfather says "go to the mattresses"

i need to take a poll, and i need your help.

i am full of knots in my upper shoulders and lower back. and my neck is so stiff that i have to turn my whole upper body to look out my car windows in order to pass anyone on the highway. this is, as of late (past two years) typically the case for me. being a woman i carry a majority of 'stress' in my upper back and shoulders. and since the lord blessed me with favorably sized frontal cantelopes, it doesn't make the matter any better.

usually andy stella (read: chiropractor with angels wings which he hides under his ralph lauren polo) comes to my aid. however, with fundage being at an all time low in the malette household and insurance not covering any of my chiropractic problems, my visits to him are infrequent.

now, whilst in the boundary waters, i carried a 40 lb. pack, sometimes a 55 lb. pack, paddled hard against wind, and slept on bumpy ground... all things that involve my upper back and neck. and guess what, no pain. my neck was flexible as a wet worm on a pavement after the rain. my upper back was knot-free, as knot-free as a piece of floured-and-pressed pizza dough.

so, who do we blame now for my miserable state of affairs? my love affair with wheat? (andy stella has a theory that wheat products may be causing my pains. i, for one, don't buy it... mostly because i'm not ready to relinquish my affair with carbohydrates). so could it be stress? i don't think so, because i have always lived a stressed life, even in college. i never had neck or upper back quandries back then.

that leads me to believe that it is our effing mattress. i believe we paid $89 for it our first year of marriage. it is a 'pioneer' (i know, i've never heard of that brand either), and we do not have a box spring. but supposedly, our IKEA bed frame does not require a box spring. i no longer buy that theory. or any other theory for that matter.

so, my plan is to start a pay-pal proram on my blog and all ya'll can contribute some money towards the buy-the-malette's-a-new-effing-mattress fund.

11 Comments:

Blogger Erin Bennett said...

First of all, I was the exact opposite. I normally don't have problems with my back, but it hurt like hell in the BWCA.
You need a sleep number bed by select comfort. I can't imagine the last three years without ours. I'm not sure how I ever slept on a "regular" matress before.
And don't worry...they're pretty cheap. :)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

. . . if you don't know your number . . . you might want to look into a Tempurpedic . . . almost heaven . . .

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Judith Hougen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Judith Hougen said...

Wow, I deleted my comments because I had a serious error in a sentence. I didn't know everyone would know I did that. Sheesh.

But hey! Maybe you could sell ad space on your blog like the idiot ad above my comment (how did that thing get on there? Hello! Annoying!). You'd have your mattress money in no time. I agree that there's no substitute for a quality mattress (in my poorer days, I, too, had a cheap mattress--doesn't pay in the end). One other thing to consider: since my car accident in '93, I've had to use a Tempurpedic pillow, which keeps my neck/spine aligned while I sleep (it's made of that strange memory foam stuff--accept no substitutes! There are lots of fake ones out there). Honestly, the Tempurpedic mattresses are, like, $1000--very expensive though probably very good. The pillows are fairly affordable

1:03 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

My hubby and I were waking up with stiff necks and backs a few years back and since we had similar symptoms decided it was the Beauty Rest we got for our wedding that was only 6 or 7 years old when it started going bad. The company sent us a new one prorated 50% because half our warranty was gone. The new one went bad in 3 years.

So, last year we were off to the Select Comfort store on recommendation of 2 or 3 friends. We hate (can I say that?!) our Select Comfort bed and spent 6 months dickering with the company trying to get them to take it back, then we gave up. You get 30 days to decide and we honestly didn't know until about 45 days into it. If you want to really try one out, go to a hotel that advertises them, probably not financially advisable to stay there 45 nights though!

Suffice it to say, I don't like the mattress and I don't like the company. I've made it my mission whenever mattress discussions come up to let people know our story. My own Better Business Bureau. Hope it helps...a good mattress is EVERYTHING, wish I had one. Invest wisely and your back/neck will thank you.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

OK just re-read my comment and I realize I sound like a raving lunatic. I'm not promoting slander. I just long for justice when we are the kind of people who follow all therules and hope to be treated fairly. I'll stop defending myself now. Hope your neck feels better!

2:35 PM  
Blogger gloria said...

wow! you've really hit on something here!
Just don't come to my house. Our mattress is 10 years old and sucks! I wake up with very unhappy hips (thanks pregnancy!). I am dying for new mattress!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Wow - Danb, that was so helpful! Wish I'd bought my mattress from you. I will say the Select Comfort has taken care of my lower back pain (so that's why I always hang my feet off the end...stomach sleeper that I am), we just don't care for how it "sleeps." But we've found ways (read: spent more money) to modify it for now.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Matt Patrick said...

I agree with anonymous...
We really need to be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shares may be sold at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Bruce E. B. said...

When my body heat softens my investments, I sell, sell, SELL!!!! WITH MY FEET POINTING D O W N !

What's YOUR select profit number?

(this IS the weirdest blog I've ever seen)

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home