7.28.2009

and here we are, at twenty weeks

this week, i am twenty weeks pregnant.

from what i've heard, twenty weeks is a milestone. it's usually around the time you have the "big ultrasound" where they check for all important limbs, body parts, and specifically, those body parts. around twenty weeks, most women start to feel those first few baby kicks. twenty weeks is also the exact mid-point of your forty week pregnancy. twenty weeks down, twenty to go.

however, i am having twins. which means that i will most likely meet this two little creatures earlier than forty weeks. we could wind up face-to-faces around thirty-four weeks or anytime thereafter.

"so what?" you may be wondering.

well, i'll tell you what. i am losing sleep at night over the thought that i'm more than half way through my pregnancy and have nothing to show for it other than countless pairs of elastic waist pants and a fridge stocked full of food for my ever-increasing appetite. but that is pretty much all i have to show for myself at this twenty week milestone - a bigger belly, a voracious appetite, and bigger, more flexible pants.

the room we have designated as the "baby-baby room" is a vacant, un-painted, dreary disaster of leftover and yet-to-be-unpacked items from our move one month ago... we have researched carseats, cribs and strollers but have not made any decisions or purchased anything... we haven't decided what kind or type of slings we'll need, nor have we made a decision on what kind of cloth diapers will be best...

i had hoped that my thrust into motherhood would be the kind that my friends would admire or write to their own mothers about - a blissfully organized week-by-week planning guide to motherhood with items ticked off of a to-do list in a manner that would make martha stewart foam at the mouth. instead, i am as disorganized and behind-the-proverbial-eight-ball as one could possibly be.

i know i can do better than this, but i am just so damn tired... and hungry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phillip and Karla said...

I'll ask my mom what kind of cloth diapers she used when I was born... 32 (gulp) years ago. Not sure if the brand still exists or if she made them herself? It's very possible that she made them herself, because she's quite the sewing goddess. I remember the plastic coverings that I used to wear over the cloth diapers. Yes, I remember, only because they were really uncomfortable. I'm sure they've come a long way since 1977. She also made all my baby food, but only because they were really poor. I'll ask her for advice. :o)

Karla

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoyed your blog. Congratulations hun, for your pregnancy. I arrived here randomly and I really liked you posts! Now it's on my favourites list. I'm a mum of a little boy called Marlow and I really enjoy reading other mummy stories on line. Did you already choose the names? I remember I spent a lot of time chilling out choosing my baby names. Here a great link http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ Let us know how it's going!! Jo and her little Marlow

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home