9.15.2006

time for an honest fight

derek webb (one of the original members of the band caedmon's call who wisely left the band before they went completely bubble-gum-toothpaste-commercial-pop-christian) is giving away his record 'mockingbird' for free. yeah. go to www.freederekwebb.com, download the record and join the conversation.

the conversation is loaded, open, honest, and blunt... you have to be willing to ask some questions that probably don't have answers. i think this is beautiful, what webb is doing - poking at the theology of a theocracy, and who we are as westernized christians. but through the poking and the asking, there is love. in his lyics, i hear a love for the Church, a love for the bride of Christ, and an honest love for the people Jesus died to save. but get ready, because this kind of love is going to hurt.

six years ago, these poetic meanderings of webb's would've angered me, because i wasn't ready to ask the questions, and i wasn't ready to have the 'answers' i had been spoon fed my whole life dismantled. at least for now, i know that i would rather live inside of the confusion and not know all the answers, than stand outside of the dialog with my neat little box of solutions.

"don't teach me about politics and government
just tell me who to vote for
don't teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music

don't teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law

don't teach me about moderation and liberty
i prefer a shot of grape juice
don't teach me about loving my enemies

don't teach me how to listen to the spirit
just give me a new law

i don't want to know
if the answers aren't easy
just bring it down from the mountain to me

do not be afraid..." -derek webb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home