5.15.2006

birthing a promise

the truth is this: it's amazing what the human body can do when abundant with adrenaline and inspiration.

i trained minimally for the 5K 'race for the cure' i ran on sunday. i've never run a 'race' before, so my mentality was definitely not to beat my best personal time. i just wanted to finish before everyone went home and forgot that there was still someone running way, way, way back there.

perhaps some of you out there reading this are those hard core runners that wear those tight black pants and cannot relate to what i'm saying because running 3.1 miles is nothing to you. but this distance was a feat for me. up until yesterday, i had never run the 3.1 miles without stopping to ask myself, as i huffed what felt like the last breaths God would ever give me, "why am i doing this again?"

but yesterday, let me tell you about yesterday. crammed into that mass of 50,000 people before the starting line, counting down to the beginning of the race, people all around you stretching, cheering... women running in pink to show that they've come through on the other side of breast cancer... women running in the tender memory of someone they've lost... women struggling to beat the disease. i was running behind a women who donned a shirt reading "i run for my daughter's future". it was hopeful. beautiful.

mandie and i ran the whole thing. we did it. in 33 minutes. we particiated in an event that is birthing a promise of hope to a lot of women out there in the throws of cancer. i am proud. and really sore.

2 Comments:

Blogger JL! said...

Way to go, Ash! I need some of that tenacity when it comes to running. I used to run (I did long distance way back in middle school) but I decided I hated it and I quit. Now I'm in way worse shape, and I kinda wish I had stuck with it. If not for the fun, for the long-term benefits.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Bruce E. B. said...

I can't even THINK for 3.1 miles!

Good for you!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home