1.06.2005

there will come a day

"i learned as a child not to trust in my body
i've carried that burden through my life
but there's a day when we all have to be pried loose
if this were the last night of the world

what would I do
what would I do that was different
unless it was champagne with you" - bruce cockburn

"you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
racing around to come up behind you again
the sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
shorter of breath and one day closer to death" - roger waters

why have we always taken such a fatalistic approach... the question is NOT 'if i were to die today'. the question really is 'if I were going to live forever what kind of life would i live'. as if I had eternity to make things right? or as if i had one moment to do this, to love louder and laugh harder... do not choose to "flitter and waste the hours in an off-hand way"...

1 Comments:

Blogger jeffmacsimus said...

OH, my GOODNESS... this is really uncanny. I got an email from a classmate at NWC this fall, and her default email signature was the "if you were to die today.." thing. GRRR... I wrote back asking "If you knew you were going to live forever...?". Bizarre.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home